Thursday, November 3, 2011

What a Week!

Who would have guessed that what started falling Saturday afternoon would have had such an impact on us.

Chris Buckbee and I were out on the campaign trail hitting the pavement as we have done the last two Saturdays. We were trying to beat the weather by starting early. The flakes started flying around 1pm. By 2 o'clock the snow was coming down so hard it was dangerous to be out.

Like everyone else in town Saturday afternoon, the sound of snapping tree limbs everywhere was something many of us won't forget for some time. Who would have thought an October storm could have taken out almost one million Connecticut power customers. I sure didn't think it was possible. This was indeed a once a century storm!

Sunday looked like a bomb went off in town. The damage in my neighborhood alone looked like something from a disaster film. What happened next is why I want to stay in this town and feel pride as a resident of Rocky Hill.

Many of my neighbors had trees down. I had a good chain saw. We all helped each other clear driveways and get limbs off of phone and cable lines. I didn't hear any complaining. It was just neighbor helping neighbor.

The organization down at the town hall was a feat in itself. Hundreds came in looking for shelter. Every room was utilized for people to sleep or eat. Meals were cooked. A TV was set up. People were made as comfortable as possible.

I try to stay in shape and run at least 3-4 times a week. This week I had some more time to run since we had no power and the other choice was to sit in a dark home. Monday's run was difficult. Lots of snow. Lines down. Generators humming away and many streets were barricaded. Tuesday looked a little more desperate. Caution tape was everywhere and more areas were barricaded. Still no power trucks to be seen. Wednesday looked a little better. Trees were trimmed and power was back to half of my six mile route.

Tonight on my run I saw nothing but smiling faces and the silence and peace that comes form the absence of small engines running. Power was back to most of my route except a 1/4 mile stretch that was being restored as I ran by. A sincere thanks needs to go out to those who made the restoration possible.

When I run I'm alone with my thoughts and I get to reflect a lot. Usually it's about the campaign and work, but this week my thoughts were on my neighbors and the residents of Rocky Hill. I thought about this whole week and how it impacted us. I thought about my neighbors coming together to help each other. I thought about all the people who were driven from their homes by the cold at the community center shelter.

To sum up the week, I'm thankful that the residents of Rocky Hill are alive and able to tell stories of their experiences and return home to their houses. That is truly a miracle in itself. We should all be thankful.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment