Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Does Party Really Matter?

One thing I noticed as I've been going around town campaigning is people asking what party I'm running under. When I answer "Republican" I get some interesting responses and I feel it needs addressing. To start, I'm a Republican for the following reasons: 1. I believe people should be allowed to pursue their own dreams without government getting involved or over regulating them. 2. I believe people should get hand-up's instead of handouts. 3. Small business is the backbone of the country and we should be supporting and encouraging more small businesses. 4. Government is to govern, not to create jobs. 5. I feel the basis and intent of the Constitution should be protected. Unfortunately, most of these issues are national level issues and really don't apply to town politics. On the local level, people should vote for candidates based on their convictions and what they are proposing to change and improve on the local scene in the town of Rocky Hill. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen and many times people may not vote for the best candidate based on the fact they have a D or an R after their name. I find that unfortunate. Whether I'm a Republican or not really shouldn't make a difference. What should matter is the resolve of the candidate and what they want to accomplish when in office. I decided to run because I feel the majority currently in office has become complacent and we need some fresh faces that have the motivation to enact real change. The path to a new Rocky Hill can happen this November. With your vote, my running mates and I can be empowered to address our school deficiencies, make some tax saving changes to local government, and do it without increasing your taxes. This November you have a choice. I ask that you look at each candidate for what they want to do and thier message instead of simple letter after their name.

1 comment: